Board 6
disney buys marvel - Printable Version

+- Board 6 (http://board6.com)
+-- Forum: The Good Shit (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: disney buys marvel (/showthread.php?tid=9301)

Pages: 1 2

disney buys marvel - Slacker - 08-31-2009

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Walt-Disney-Swoops-On-Marvel-Entertainment-in-254bn-Deal/Article/200908415371948?lpos=Business_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15371948_Walt_Disney_Swoops_On_Marvel_Entertainment_in_?2.54bn_D​eal_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Busine ... 54bn_Deal_</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:The £2.5bn cash and stocks deal means the Walt Disney will have access to Marvel's 5,000 characters.

The buy-up values Marvel at £30 a share and has been agreed by both boards.

It now needs the backing of Marvel shareholders and the competition authorities.

:/

Some dude on twitter Wrote:First Disney/Marvel collaboration: Hannah Montana refuses to reveal secret identity, goes to war with Iron Man.

Re: disney buys marvel - sTr - 08-31-2009

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a different note, does this mean DC wins against marvel?

Re: disney buys marvel - Slacker - 08-31-2009

who knows

a pixar fantastic four movie could be pretty epic

the comics wont change, so marvel still gets my vote

just like the power rangers and the muppets didn't change....

Re: disney buys marvel - XIII - 08-31-2009

Why is this a bad thing?

Marvel was doing an awful job with the movies.

Disney is going to keep the good movies going (Spiderman, Iron Man, etc.).

They more or less want to have more obscure characters. First 5 announced movies were Sub-Mariner, Luke Cage, Morbius, Dr. Strange, and Iron Fist.

*edit* Also, on the DC vs. Marvel front....

DC is owned by WB. Marvel is Disney. If anything, they're finally equal.

You guys can honestly tell me that Punisher Warzone, Incredible Hulk, and Wolverine Origins were good movies?

Re: disney buys marvel - Slacker - 08-31-2009

-wouldnt dream of it

Re: disney buys marvel - Paullehh - 08-31-2009

Wolverine was good.

Re: disney buys marvel - XIII - 08-31-2009

Paullehh Wrote:Wolverine was good.
lol

Re: disney buys marvel - Paullehh - 08-31-2009

average rating of 6.8/10 after 55, 775 people rated it.
Seems to be pretty well received.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458525/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458525/</a><!-- m -->"
I know where you are coming from though as you read the comics you were looking for something true to that.
Movies will be made to appeal to a wider audience though not just comic fans.

Honestly !'m surprised that anyone is defending this purchase, ! Would have imagined everyone here would be bummed. Nothing in defence of my statement, just my feeling, possibly noy my views.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [Image: mobile.png]

Re: disney buys marvel - XxSweetBitchAssxX - 09-01-2009

I am outraged. I like Disney, and I like Marvel....as two seperate entities. It's NOT about the movies at all, it's about the comics. Of course they're going to say nothing will change, they have to, in order to keep the already disintegrating comic fan base.

But, can you IMAGINE a Disney style Punisher? EPIC FAIL.

I've always been a DC girl, always, but I dabble A LOT in Marvel, it's still very near and dear to my heart. I felt a piece of my heart break over this seriously. Sad, sad day.

Re: disney buys marvel - XIII - 09-01-2009

You guys don't even give it a chance and you dismiss it as watered down and lame.

Marvel movies were already garbage, I don't care what reviews say... reviewers just say things to get attention. "Hey let me give a terrible movie 5 stars so people will click my link and read my review.... durrr."

Iron Man movie was okay, Hulk was basically 10 minutes of cool Hulk action and an hour and 20 minutes of advertising future movies that don't even have a director yet.

As for the comics themselves, that's the only thing I could see having a negative effect. Usually comics get a little gritty and PG-13... but I don't think Disney will really change what the writers come up with. I read a few Marvel comics, and honestly I don't see anything in there that Disney wouldn't allow.

Re: disney buys marvel - Slacker - 09-01-2009

aaaaye

dont disney own mirimax? they let kevin smith say all sorts or crazy shit

As far as the comics go (which in my opinion is the ABSOLUTE heart of Marvel, because that's well its ORIGIN), I think you are underestimating Disney oversight. It might not be an overnight change, but as soon as families and stockholders start complaining to Disney about some content in the comics, their corporate assholes will see to it that it is silenced, or censored in some way. Disney would rather sacrifice some measley comic title than tarnish the "Disney" conglomerate with "unfamilial" associations, guaranteed.

Marvel itself, although affliated with all the crappy movies you are referring to, did not produce these films; the rights and titles of certain characters and plots were essentially leased from the company. Marvel can't take responsibility for lame ass production companies ruining their characters. And to be honest, I think MOST comic book movies ruin the franchises regardless of who they are made by.

Comics > movies. Hence the Disney diss. COMIC BOOKS are what Marvel is, and always has been about.

Re: disney buys marvel - sTr - 09-01-2009

! just want to point this out again. they ruined the muppets. hold, on.. THEY RUINED THE MUPPETS!! how the fuck do you ruin the muppets, and what was so bad about them that they had to change them at all. on top of that, they put those fuckers in pizza hut commercials... bastids...

OMG so true. And seriously, the muppets owned so hard. It's time to start the music....

Re: disney buys marvel - sTr - 09-01-2009

movin' right along was my fav muppett song...

Re: disney buys marvel - XIII - 09-01-2009

XxSweetBitchAssxX Wrote:As far as the comics go (which in my opinion is the ABSOLUTE heart of Marvel, because that's well its ORIGIN), I think you are underestimating Disney oversight. It might not be an overnight change, but as soon as families and stockholders start complaining to Disney about some content in the comics, their corporate assholes will see to it that it is silenced, or censored in some way. Disney would rather sacrifice some measley comic title than tarnish the "Disney" conglomerate with "unfamilial" associations, guaranteed.

Marvel itself, although affliated with all the crappy movies you are referring to, did not produce these films; the rights and titles of certain characters and plots were essentially leased from the company. Marvel can't take responsibility for lame ass production companies ruining their characters. And to be honest, I think MOST comic book movies ruin the franchises regardless of who they are made by.

Comics > movies. Hence the Disney diss. COMIC BOOKS are what Marvel is, and always has been about.
Well, I'm not sure which comics you read, so all I can give you is a generalization... but most Marvel comics are PG-13, the worst. Pirates of the Caribbean had more edgy stuff than most of Marvel's big names.

I really don't see the change being drastic anywhere other than toy production and movie budgets. Disney doesn't write the comics, writers do. Several writers, I might add.

The only Marvel I read is Deadpool anyway. Everything else I read is DC. So quite honestly I don't really care.

*edit* And Captain America, but as far as I'm concerned... he's dead.

Re: disney buys marvel - Clizownmothafackoz17 - 09-02-2009

Disney has from its inception been a bunch of union-busters. Walt Disney was a capitalist bastard who used McCarthyism to destroy people's lives. I'm confident that Disney will completely rape and obliterate Marvel's soul, and convert it into propaganda against working people. It's what they do.

Re: disney buys marvel - sTr - 09-02-2009

[Image: bilde?Site=C4&amp;Date=20090902&...p;amp;Q=50]

Re: disney buys marvel - XIII - 09-02-2009

Clizownmothafackoz17 Wrote:Disney has from its inception been a bunch of union-busters. Walt Disney was a capitalist bastard who used McCarthyism to destroy people's lives. I'm confident that Disney will completely rape and obliterate Marvel's soul, and convert it into propaganda against working people. It's what they do.
lol o wow

Re: disney buys marvel - XxSweetBitchAssxX - 09-02-2009

Clizownmothafackoz17 Wrote:Disney has from its inception been a bunch of union-busters. Walt Disney was a capitalist bastard who used McCarthyism to destroy people's lives. I'm confident that Disney will completely rape and obliterate Marvel's soul, and convert it into propaganda against working people. It's what they do.

Hahaha, exactly what he said.

No but seriously, XIII I appreciate how you debated very valid points. Even though we disagreed, it's still good to debate the different points <3

Re: disney buys marvel - XIII - 09-02-2009

I'm just taking a wait-and-see approach. That's all.

Personally, I like Disney, and I believe they're a good company. All that McCarthyism and stuff, you guys gotta realize that it's 2009, almost 2010, not 1950's. I really doubt Disney bought Marvel with the intention of sending people on a boat back to Russia.

And just for the record, most comics you read now had the same ideals in the 50's and 60's as Disney did.

Like, Captain America was a soldier in WWII and all that.

I dunno, I think you guys are just basing your opinion of Disney the company, based on what you've heard about Walt Disney, the person... which is silly.

Re: disney buys marvel - Paullehh - 09-03-2009

XIII Wrote:I'm just taking a wait-and-see approach. That's all.

Personally, I like Disney, and I believe they're a good company. All that McCarthyism and stuff, you guys gotta realize that it's 2009, almost 2010, not 1950's. I really doubt Disney bought Marvel with the intention of sending people on a boat back to Russia.

And just for the record, most comics you read now had the same ideals in the 50's and 60's as Disney did.

I dunno, I think you guys are just basing your opinion of Disney the company, based on what you've heard about Walt Disney, the person... which is silly.
You are wrong ..
HAHA

Re: disney buys marvel - XIII - 09-03-2009

Paullehh Wrote:
XIII Wrote:I'm just taking a wait-and-see approach. That's all.

You are wrong ..
HAHA
It's the 1950's?

Re: disney buys marvel - Alyzzia - 09-03-2009

sTr Wrote:! just want to point this out again. they ruined the muppets. hold, on.. THEY RUINED THE MUPPETS!! how the fuck do you ruin the muppets, and what was so bad about them that they had to change them at all. on top of that, they put those fuckers in pizza hut commercials... bastids...

So true! I love the Muppets, but they have ruined them over the years they are all PC now and crap.

Re: disney buys marvel - XxSweetBitchAssxX - 09-03-2009

I just want to point out there is an entire line of Marvel MAX comics (that include independent, lessen known titles, as well as versions of bigger titles) that is specifically for adult audiences. These comics are marked, but they include nudity, sexual content, violence, etc. This branch of Marvel could easily be eliminated by a "PC" family orieneted Disney corporation. I'm not merely basing this Walt Disney's personality or value system, but of examples of Disney's attempts to acquisition other major companies and turn it into some corprorate, cookie cutter, family oriented crap. That's my big fear. I'm not saying that it is in anyway guaranteed, but I stay wary of big corporate conglomerates and their overtake of things they could change for the worst.
Just saying as an adament comic book fan. I've read some of this stuff since I was a kid, and now some of it as an adult, and I enjoy the variety of the classic titles that remain true to certain 1950's era values as well as the sexed up, super brutal versions. I'd hate to see it mass produced for everyone. It would be the death of the fanboy/girl.

Re: disney buys marvel - sTr - 09-05-2009

! wonder what the status of the marvel anime projects they were working on will be. !'ll sure the ones they were working on will be released, but probably none after that. think, spiderman and mikey mouse x-mas specials. muppets, x-men and goofy movie. the possibilities are endless.

Re: disney buys marvel - Paullehh - 09-05-2009

[Image: 2zf0ln4.jpg]
[Image: qx9h0l.jpg]

Re: disney buys marvel - sTr - 09-06-2009

! just really hope that miley cyrus and iron man project comes out

Re: disney buys marvel - Slacker - 09-07-2009

word

Re: disney buys marvel - sTr - 09-08-2009

[Image: 2009-09-06-madbeast2.png]

[Image: 2009-09-06-madbeast.png]

Re: disney buys marvel - Paullehh - 09-08-2009

BAJAJ @ these people actually exist.

Re: disney buys marvel - Slacker - 09-08-2009

word, they're the xmen

Re: disney buys marvel - XxSweetBitchAssxX - 09-08-2009

That's hysterical, but in no way can I poke fun, I have this awesome poison ivy costume I used to rock to conventions ;)