Board 6
GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - Printable Version

+- Board 6 (http://board6.com)
+-- Forum: The Good Shit (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 (/showthread.php?tid=9078)

GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - sTr - 08-11-2009

Detroit News Wrote:[Image: bilde?Avis=C3&Dato=20090811&...p;border=0]

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

General Motors Co. said today the Chevrolet Volt, its extended range electric vehicle due out in November 2010, will get an estimated city fuel economy of 230 mpg, or 25 kilowatt hours per 100 miles.

GM will unveil 25 new models between now and the end of 2011, it said in a statement released as President and CEO Fritz Henderson was about to hold a press briefing and webcast.

"When the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric vehicle rolls off the assembly line late next year, it will be the first mass-production automobile to achieve triple-digit fuel economy, with an expected 230 mpg in the city, or 25 kilowatt hours per 100 miles," GM said.

Henderson also confirmed in the statement that Cadillac is developing an entry-level luxury sport sedan to capitalize on the growing market for smaller luxury sedans in the U.S. and globally. The rear- and optional all-wheel drive sedan will compete in the segment below the CTS, delivering outstanding performance and driving dynamics.

At GM's Design Center and Milford Proving Ground today, GM is showing off six all-new 2010 vehicles and a glimpse of what is being introduced through the end of 2011:

• Chevrolet is introducing 10 new models, including the 2011 Chevrolet Volt through the end of 2011.

• Buick and GMC are adding 10 new models, including an as yet unnamed Buick plug-in hybrid compact crossover in 2011.

• Cadillac is introducing five new models through 2011.

One pilot web initiative, called "The Lab," will involve GM's Advanced Design studio and allow users to talk with designers about ideas and consumer-friendly technologies that were previously shared only in unbranded clinics.

GM is building 10 Volt pre-production vehicles a week and has a fleet of 30 being tested in Yuma, Ariz.

"The key to restarting this company lies with GM's customers, cars and culture," Henderson said. "With four focused brands, we are committed to exceeding our current customers' expectations and giving consumers plenty of reasons to choose a Chevy, Buick, GMC or Cadillac car or truck."

Using development testing based on a draft U.S. Environmental Protection Association (EPA) procedure for plug-in electric vehicles, the Chevrolet Volt is expected to achieve 230 miles per gallon or better in city driving (25 kilowatt hours per 100 miles).

The Volt, scheduled to begin production late next year as a 2011 model, can travel up to 40 miles on electricity from a single battery charge and can extend its overall range to more than 300 miles with its flex-fuel engine-generator.

fuck this bullshit, with an electric car you don't need oil changes or spark plugs or any of that other crap they want you to buy after you buy their piece of shit, with piece of shit parts....

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - CranialEntropy - 08-11-2009

So thats what the ad was for on hulu...
awesome

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - XIII - 08-11-2009

I was supposed to test drive one of these for a review at work. The guy basically called and said it can't leave the parking spot... then called and said we couldn't get interior shots, so we cancelled it, and I got to see a Tesla instead, which is far superior.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.teslamotors.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.teslamotors.com/</a><!-- m -->

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - sTr - 08-11-2009

fuck yeah @ tesla motors... gm's future competition...

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - Grimlin - 08-11-2009

Here's what i don't understand...Let's say you want to take a 2000 mile trip....every 230 miles and your car is dieing,you going to have to plug it in? Exactly how long will it take before it gets to full charge and i can get back on the road?

Somebody needs to explain this to me,because a lot of times if i go down south,we switch drivers while the other one sleeps.I don't see how you can do this with these electric cars.

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - sTr - 08-11-2009

30 min for half charge a few hours for full charge... that's w/ a decent full electric, these hybrids are made so they can still maintenance your car and sell shitty parts...

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - Paullehh - 08-11-2009

future car
[Image: dodgems_09_470x353.jpg]

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - Grant - 08-11-2009

im just sticking with my scion tc which gets close to 30 mpg.

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - XIII - 08-11-2009

Grimlin Wrote:Here's what i don't understand...Let's say you want to take a 2000 mile trip....every 230 miles and your car is dieing,you going to have to plug it in? Exactly how long will it take before it gets to full charge and i can get back on the road?

Somebody needs to explain this to me,because a lot of times if i go down south,we switch drivers while the other one sleeps.I don't see how you can do this with these electric cars.
The tesla comes with an adaptor, you can plug it in to an outlet. Also, they're looking into having charging stations placed around the country.

The Volt, I'm pretty sure, has a backup engine.

out here in AZ they have charging stations at the parking structures downtown, supposedly we're supposed to be getting the Nissan EV, ! think CA and OR are getting them as well...

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - Grimlin - 08-11-2009

I still don't like the idea....Sounds like a good car for short trips to work and food store.Sounds like a pain in the ass if you are planning a long ass trip.

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - Alyzzia - 08-11-2009

Lol the thing is every device that I have that runs on a battery eventually has a really shitty battery life, and that will probably happen there as well.

When I first get a cell phone it can hold an excellent charge for a few days without being plugged in, but over time it gets really crappy.

they fixed that battery shit for the most part... most of them have a computer in them that monitors 0-1000% to eliminate that, or at least slow the degradation down....

Re: GM: Volt to get 230 mpg in city; 25 models by end of 2011 - Alyzzia - 08-11-2009

That's pretty hot then. I haven't researched it much at all, but it will be pimp shit when we can get e-cars.

I really like those tesla ones.

Alyzzia Wrote:That's pretty hot then. I haven't researched it much at all, but it will be pimp shit when we can get e-cars.

I really like those tesla ones.
Faster than a vette.