Board 6
comics marvel vs dc - Printable Version

+- Board 6 (http://board6.com)
+-- Forum: The Good Shit (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: comics marvel vs dc (/showthread.php?tid=8783)

comics marvel vs dc - dirtymonkey22 - 07-21-2009

DC Comics (founded originally in 1934 as National Allied Publications)[1] is one of the largest and most popular American comic book and related media companies, along with Marvel Comics. A subsidiary of Warner Bros. Entertainment since 1969, [2] DC Comics produces material featuring a large number of well-known characters, including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, the Justice League and the rest of the DC Universe

Marvel Publishing, Inc., a company doing business as Marvel Comics,[2], produces American comic books and related media. It forms a subsidiary of Marvel Entertainment, Inc.[3]

Marvel counts among its characters such well-known properties as Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, the X-Men (notably Wolverine), and many others. Most of Marvel's fictional characters operate in one single reality known as the Marvel Universe.[4]

The comic-book arm of the company started in 1939 as Timely Publications, and by the 1950s was generally known as Atlas Comics. Marvel's modern incarnation dates from 1961, with the launching of Fantastic Four and other superhero titles created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and others. Marvel has since become the largest American comic book publisher over long time competitor DC Comics.[5]

Re: comics marvel vs dc - Grimlin - 07-21-2009

This is a hard one,Marvel wins by a hair for me....I kinda enjoy both.

Re: comics marvel vs dc - azriley2k - 07-22-2009

DC has The Joker. Of all comic villians, hell comic characters, he is probably one of my favorites. Mostly when his jokes are extremely cruel but still funny in a very sick sort of way.

Case in point, Batman Confidential did a short run on when the joker was first arrested. When asked for his phone call he called the wife of the detective processing him and explained to her that he was calling from her doctor's office and that just found that she had a very rare condition that will kill her vary slowly and will cost her and her husband everything. The Joker then convinced the woman to hang herself to save her husband the pain and suffering. In a very, VERY dark and twisted way, it was funny. Hence, The Joker.

Re: comics marvel vs dc - Slacker - 07-22-2009

marvel wins for me, i like X-Men, Iron Man and The Hulk too much

but the joker is fucking awesome Pimp

Re: comics marvel vs dc - dirtymonkey22 - 07-23-2009

i love both i really do but i grew up with dc animation batman tas sups
and i watched the old adam west reruns and chris reeves movies all the dam time and if we didnt have dc timely comics would of never became marvel stan lee would of never seen superman and gone wow this is what i want to do

now dont get me wrong i love spiderman almost as much as the bat and to of the best movies to me were the hulk and ironman and with hulk i know comics so i got some of thing hinted things but they still were no dark knight shit its like this marvel can put out the spiderman a xmen movies but dc put out the dark knight that just trumps most movies in general i mean name a bad thing other then bales voice and hoe long it was u cant or u need to stop the drugs
and i allways thought they played hulk wrong untill the ulimates comic

Re: comics marvel vs dc - azriley2k - 07-23-2009

Batman Begins and the Dark Knight were both incredible and I would agree that Dark Knight has to be one of the best movies I have seen (comic or otherwise) with Iron Man shortly behind.

As for the comics themselves, I have to go with marvel. While it may or may not be true that Stan Lee got into comics because of DC and Marvel would not be Marvel without Stan Lee among others, Marvel has outsold DC for years.

DC has some decent characters, in fact I got into comics when Superman died and I followed the whole Reign of Supermen storyline. I was a fan of both Superboy and Steel.

Then I read Marvel. I like how each issue briefly recaps what is going on so that if I just picked it up or forgot what was going on I am not (as) lost in the story. I also like the fact that some Marvel Characters have real problems, for example, Iron Man was/is an alcoholic, Hank Pym beat his Wife, plus they live in real cities which I just like better.

As for the cartoons Spider man was my favorite

Re: comics marvel vs dc - XIII - 07-23-2009

azriley2k Wrote:While it may or may not be true that Stan Lee got into comics because of DC and Marvel would not be Marvel without Stan Lee among others, Marvel has outsold DC for years.
Care to explain how this makes it better?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] [Image: mobile.png]

Re: comics marvel vs dc - azriley2k - 07-24-2009

XIII Wrote:
azriley2k Wrote:While it may or may not be true that Stan Lee got into comics because of DC and Marvel would not be Marvel without Stan Lee among others, Marvel has outsold DC for years.
Care to explain how this makes it better?

Happy to when someone can explain to me how DC coming first makes them better

Re: comics marvel vs dc - canttouchthis80 - 07-25-2009

marvel is a greater evolution past dc

Re: comics marvel vs dc - dirtymonkey22 - 07-25-2009

bullshit marvel puts out 20 movies and all dc did is put out TDK and destroyed them dc animation is allways better when xmen in the 90s was out dc had batman tas and superman tas and as of late mavel put out that bs animated avengers reborn or somthing and dc put out justice league a new frontier i think what it is yes more marvel comics gets put in peoples face wile dc allways concentraits on bats and sups but there is so much good stuff with dc currently dcs working on the movie johna hex and most people never new about the watchmen or v for vendetta even stan lee took a shot to rewright superman,batman,flash,greenlantern,and wonderwomen because he even knows that these are icons that influences even him both go back and fourth really they d o

marvel has 20 movies my point there still beter

Re: comics marvel vs dc - sTr - 07-25-2009

superman 2, best comic movie ever....

it was a good movie but idk a few new ones pretty good too

Re: comics marvel vs dc - sTr - 07-25-2009

superman 2, best comic movie EVER....

nope

Re: comics marvel vs dc - XIII - 07-25-2009

XIII Wrote:
azriley2k Wrote:better characters (*cough* Deadpool *cough*)\.
XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE

Your argument fails.

The Merc with the mouth had no mouth.
He had wolverine's retractible blades, nightcrawler's teleportation, optic blast...

The movies KILL Marvel. Yes, movies are now part of comic characters' integrity. And so far, Marvel has ONE good one: Iron Man.

Also Sinestro for the win... Chair shot for the WTF.

XIII Wrote:Ok, so DC has made movies about 2 franchises: Batman and Superman. Tim Burton's Batman movies were good. Superman 1 and 2 with Christopher Reeve was good. Batman Forever, Catwoman, Batman and Robin all sucked. Batman Begins and Dark Knight are top notch. Superman Returns wasn't awful, but made some questionable decisions. For your sake, I'll say it sucked. 6 good movies. 4 bad ones. That's 60% good.

You had one good one: Iron Man

And....

Fantastic 4, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4 2, Daredevil (which I actually liked, but fuck you then came Electra), X-3, X-Men Origins, and Ghost Rider.

1 good, 9 bad. That's 10% good.

DC wins.

Edit... I considered giving you Punisher, but then I remembered the sequel and said, fuck it, cancel them both out.

I just figured I'd throw this little bit into this thread.

Also, I never made the argument that DC came first so it's better. My argument has and always will be that DC has more of my favorite characters.

My favorites:
DC: Flash, Green Lantern, Superman, Green Arrow, Joker, Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow.

Marvel: Deadpool, Hawkeye, Captain America. That's it.

Re: comics marvel vs dc - dirtymonkey22 - 07-26-2009

i dont even think dc has 1 unwatchable movie but marvel does nick fury ring a bell with david hassel hoff how bout howard the duck if any thing dc owns the tv wile marvels been going ape shit on movies and with comic i think there even because i allways bought both but i do feel dc movies are overall better ohh i cant forget another horid marvel movie ...........captain america

Re: comics marvel vs dc - XIII - 07-26-2009

Dude... punctuate your sentences once n a while, I don't even know what you're trying to say there.

Re: comics marvel vs dc - azriley2k - 07-26-2009

XIII Wrote:
XIII Wrote:
XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE [repeat]

Your argument fails.

He had wolverine's retractible blades, nightcrawler's teleportation, optic blast...

The movies KILL Marvel. Yes, movies are now part of comic characters' integrity. And so far, Marvel has ONE good one: Iron Man.

Also Sinestro for the win... Chair shot for the WTF.[/quote

XIII Wrote:Ok, so DC has made movies about 2 franchises: Batman and Superman. Tim Burton's Batman movies were good. Superman 1 and 2 with Christopher Reeve was good. Batman Forever, Catwoman, Batman and Robin all sucked. Batman Begins and Dark Knight are top notch. Superman Returns wasn't awful, but made some questionable decisions. For your sake, I'll say it sucked. 6 good movies. 4 bad ones. That's 60% good.

And....

Fantastic 4, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4 2, Daredevil (which I actually liked, but fuck you then came Electra), X-3, X-Men Origins, and Ghost Rider.

DC wins.

Edit... I considered giving you Punisher, but then I remembered the sequel and said, fuck it, cancel them both out.

Also, I never made the argument that DC came first so it's better. My argument has and always will be that DC has more of my favorite characters.

My favorites:

Thank you for throwing this in, saves me the trouble of doing it.

If DC and Marvel had any REAL say towards the scripts of movies all of the comic book movies would be like TDK and Iron Man, but they get written and edited by Hollywood movies studios (like FOX) that turn out crap like Catwoman or X-Men Origins (which wasn't a bad movie until the anally raped deadpool on screen as described previously). Even with that taken into account, your list of good and bad movies made by DC and Marvel was a little biased don't you think?

You mentioned X3 on the bad list but not the first or second movie and there was no mention of spider-man at all. So to help you out I have composed a more detailed list of movies based on comics.

DC:

Batman - Epic, +1
Batman Returns - Decent, +1
Batman Forever - I liked it, so I will give it to you, +1
Batman & Robin - Terrible, -1
Batman Begins - also Epic, +1
The Dark Knight - Beyond Excellent, +1
Catwoman - really, really Bad, -1
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Yup, DC, -1
Road to Perdition - Also DC, -1
Steel - Yet another example of great character killed by bad plot and worse actor, -1
Supergirl - Very retarded even by 1980's standards, -1
Superman - +1
Superman II - +1
Superman III - Fail, -1
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - -1
Superman Returns - I thought it was boring as shit but you can have it, +1
V for Vendetta - Awesome flick, made by DC's indie line Vertigo, +1
Watchmen - I stand by what I said before, the comic was boring as shit but the movie (now that I have seen it) was awesome, +1

Final Score: 10 Good movies, 8 Bad movies - Not bad almost half and half

Blade - Nice and Dark, +1
Blade II - I thought the sequel sucked, -1
Blade: Trinity - In my opinion, the best of the three, +1
Daredevil - It had some flaws but I liked it, +1
Elektra - Didn't bother to see it, -1
Fantastic Four - Not bad and well received, + 1
Fantastic Four 2, Wasn't as bad as they say but I will give it to you, -1
Ghost Rider - Graphics = good, everything else = bad, -1
Hulk - Awful, -1
The Incredible Hulk - Good if you are a fan of the Hulk +1
Iron Man - Amazing, +1
The Punisher - Excellent, +1
Punisher: War Zone - Crap, -1
Spider-Man - Good, +1
Spider-Man 2 - Ok, +1
Spider-Man 3 - Terrible, -1
X-Men - Excellent, +1
X2 - Ok, +1
X-Men: The Last Stand - I liked it, +1
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - It was actually good until the fucked everything up in the third act, -1

Final Score: 12 Good Movies, 8 Bad Movies -

Re: comics marvel vs dc - azriley2k - 07-26-2009

dirtymonkey22 Wrote:i dont even think dc has 1 unwatchable movie but marvel does nick fury ring a bell with david hassel hoff how bout howard the duck if any thing dc owns the tv wile marvels been going ape shit on movies and with comic i think there even because i allways bought both but i do feel dc movies are overall better ohh i cant forget another horid marvel movie ...........captain america

Challenge Accepted:

Catwoman
Steel
Supergirl
League of extraordinary gentlemen

The Nick Fury movie was a joke, hence Made-For-Tv. Howard the duck was one of the worst block office releases ever yet that movie does have a cult following. I don't get it either

Re: comics marvel vs dc - XIII - 07-26-2009

Ok, if you count "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" against DC, you should count Watchment FOR DC.

I admit my list is a little biased. I did some cancelling out though.

X1 was good, X2 was great, X3 was GARBAGE, so I just didn't count the Xmen movies.

Same with Spiderman.

That's Marvel's problem. They milk the cash cow. DC takes time and works on movies. Sure, sometimes it flops (superman returns), but others are amazing (Batman Begins).

Remember in the 90's when DC was milking the cash cow of Batman? Remember what happened? Why doesn't marvel learn from seeing that?

Re: comics marvel vs dc - canttouchthis80 - 07-26-2009

marvel is learning from them shit they took there sweet time with the new marvel game and its suppose to be one off best super hero games ever

Re: comics marvel vs dc - dirtymonkey22 - 07-27-2009

u l
azriley2k Wrote:
XIII Wrote:
XIII Wrote:
XMEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE [repeat]

Your argument fails.

Also Sinestro for the win... Chair shot for the WTF.[/quote

And....

DC wins.

My favorites:

Thank you for throwing this in, saves me the trouble of doing it.

If DC and Marvel had any REAL say towards the scripts of movies all of the comic book movies would be like TDK and Iron Man, but they get written and edited by Hollywood movies studios (like FOX) that turn out crap like Catwoman or X-Men Origins (which wasn't a bad movie until the anally raped deadpool on screen as described previously). Even with that taken into account, your list of good and bad movies made by DC and Marvel was a little biased don't you think?

You mentioned X3 on the bad list but not the first or second movie and there was no mention of spider-man at all. So to help you out I have composed a more detailed list of movies based on comics.

DC:

Batman - Epic, +1
Batman Returns - Decent, +1
Batman Forever - I liked it, so I will give it to you, +1
Batman & Robin - Terrible, -1
Batman Begins - also Epic, +1
The Dark Knight - Beyond Excellent, +1
Catwoman - really, really Bad, -1
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Yup, DC, -1
Road to Perdition - Also DC, -1
Steel - Yet another example of great character killed by bad plot and worse actor, -1
Supergirl - Very retarded even by 1980's standards, -1
Superman - +1
Superman II - +1
Superman III - Fail, -1
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - -1
Superman Returns - I thought it was boring as shit but you can have it, +1
V for Vendetta - Awesome flick, made by DC's indie line Vertigo, +1
Watchmen - I stand by what I said before, the comic was boring as shit but the movie (now that I have seen it) was awesome, +1

Final Score: 10 Good movies, 8 Bad movies - Not bad almost half and half

Blade - Nice and Dark, +1
Blade II - I thought the sequel sucked, -1
Blade: Trinity - In my opinion, the best of the three, +1
Daredevil - It had some flaws but I liked it, +1
Elektra - Didn't bother to see it, -1
Fantastic Four - Not bad and well received, + 1
Fantastic Four 2, Wasn't as bad as they say but I will give it to you, -1
Ghost Rider - Graphics = good, everything else = bad, -1
Hulk - Awful, -1
The Incredible Hulk - Good if you are a fan of the Hulk +1
Iron Man - Amazing, +1
The Punisher - Excellent, +1
Punisher: War Zone - Crap, -1
Spider-Man - Good, +1
Spider-Man 2 - Ok, +1
Spider-Man 3 - Terrible, -1
X-Men - Excellent, +1
X2 - Ok, +1
X-Men: The Last Stand - I liked it, +1
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - It was actually good until the fucked everything up in the third act, -1

Final Score: 12 Good Movies, 8 Bad Movies -

lets see u left out some bad and i mean bad marvel movies

the 1980's punisher with dolf lungrin
captain america
howard the duck
fantastic 4 from 1994
man-thing

and yes dc has return of the swamp thing but they also have constantin wich i really liked

Re: comics marvel vs dc - XIII - 07-27-2009

I try to only include marvel's post X-Men movies, cuz I feel like that's when they really started caring about their movies. Before that, they just had people wearing the suits.

Re: comics marvel vs dc - sTr - 07-27-2009

now this was the good shit

[Image: PICFLASHDVDTVFORBLOG.jpg]

Re: comics marvel vs dc - XIII - 07-27-2009

Ugh... and Flash is my favorite hero, too.

I'm aware of that series, and .... ugh....

Re: comics marvel vs dc - azriley2k - 07-27-2009

XIII Wrote:Ok, if you count "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" against DC, you should count Watchment FOR DC.

I admit my list is a little biased. I did some cancelling out though.

X1 was good, X2 was great, X3 was GARBAGE, so I just didn't count the Xmen movies.

Same with Spiderman.

That's Marvel's problem. They milk the cash cow. DC takes time and works on movies. Sure, sometimes it flops (superman returns), but others are amazing (Batman Begins).

Remember in the 90's when DC was milking the cash cow of Batman? Remember what happened? Why doesn't marvel learn from seeing that?

I did include WATCHMEN for DC. X3 wasn't bad in my opinion, they just killed everyone. Spiderman 3 WAS terrible but either of them them being bad doesn't cancel out the previous two other wise we would have to rule out the old superman series as well as the batman series.

dirtymonkey22 Wrote:lets see u left out some bad and i mean bad marvel movies

the 1980's punisher with dolf lungrin - I actually liked it despite Dolph
captain america - I saw it when I was a kid, very boring
howard the duck - terrible, I agree but has a cult following
fantastic 4 from 1994 - very bad, but NEVER RELEASED, ever
man-thing - never saw but considering how and when it was released

and yes dc has return of the swamp thing but they also have Constantine which i really liked

I missed swamp thing AND return of swamp thing, Constantine was my bad, I liked that movie.