Board 6
Buffalo Bills running back Marcus Murphy continues to s - Printable Version

+- Board 6 (http://board6.com)
+-- Forum: The Good Shit (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: B Sex Love Line (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Buffalo Bills running back Marcus Murphy continues to s (/showthread.php?tid=12944)

Buffalo Bills running back Marcus Murphy continues to s - panxing18 - 03-08-2019

hine in win over Cleveland Browns Veteran Chris Ivory was brought in on a free-agent contract to serve as the primary backup to Pro Bowler LeSean McCoy http://www.buffalobillsteamonline.com/jerry-hughes-jersey , but through the first two preseason games, Marcus Murphy has staked his claim not only to a spot on the 53-man roster, but as the primary backup to Shady. Especially following Friday night’s 19-17 win over the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium, when Murphy not only led the Bills in rushing (39 yards on four carries for a robust 9.8 yards per rush average), but directly set up a field goal before halftime with a huge punt return. Through two preseason games, Murphy, a seventh-round draft pick out of Missouri in 2015, has rushed for 74 yards on 11 carries (6.73 yards/rush) with one touchdown, and has added four receptions for 30 yards. “I just want to make a play. Whenever an opportunity is given, I just want to make the most of it. It doesn’t matter if it’s being a running back, punt returner or kick returner. I just want to be a playmaker whenever I get the chance,” Murphy told Branson Wright of The Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I’m not the prototypical running back at 6-foot, 230 pounds,” said Murphy, who is listed at 5-foot-9 and 195 pounds. “I have a chip on my shoulder. I want to prove that I can run between the tackles, pass-protect and run outside. I get a little shine when I have the ball in my hands, but it’s about all of us working together.”This after an impressive performance in the regular-season finale of 2017. With the Bills fighting for the playoffs and with both McCoy and Travaris Cadet sidelined, Murphy, a former member of three teams’ practice squads in 2017 — the New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts, and the Bills — rushed for 41 yards and added two receptions for seven yards in a 22-16 victory. In Buffalo’s preseason opener, Murphy carried seven times for 35 yards and caught four passes for 30 yards. He demonstrated his patience, elusiveness, and cut-back ability when he scampered into the end zone on a seven-yard touchdown run to put the Bills up 17-7 heading into halftime vs. the Panthers. On Friday night, another big play from Murphy, this time in the return game Womens Matt Milano Jersey , again helped set up a late first-half score. Murphy’s nifty 39-yard punt return put the Bills in range for a Stephen Hauschka field goal as Buffalo took a 10-7 lead into intermission. That punt return, which could have gone for at least 20 more yards had Murphy not gotten tripped up over his own feet avoiding a defender, showcased the versatility he displayed at Missouri, where he was an All-SEC running back. In his senior season, he rushed for 924 yards (5.2 per carry) while catching 28 passes for 212 yards with five total offensive TDs. In the return game, Murphy averaged 29.4 yards on kickoff returns, and an additional 10.4 yards on punt returns with three special teams TDs. His seven career kickoff and punt return TDs broke Jeremy Maclin’s old school record. Murphy, who was drafted by the Saints, came into the league with a solid reputation as a jack-of-all trades guy who could help as a runner, as a receiver, and in the return game. Through two preseason games, Murphy has not only earned a spot on the 53-man roster, but he is making serious waves in his attempt to take over the No. 2 role from Ivory. Murphy needs to demonstrate proficiency in pass protection, but if he does, there’s no reason why he couldn’t excel as Shady’s handcuff. His explosive running style, and his abilities as a pass-catcher, would certainly serve as a nice compliment to McCoy. Heading into the 2017 NFL season, the Buffalo Bills revamped their defensive secondary. They allowed former first-round draft pick Stephon Gilmore to sign a lucrative deal with the New England Patriots. They also traded their other starting corner, Ronald Darby, to the Philadelphia Eagles. At safety, they replaced veterans Corey Graham and Aaron Williams with a pair of free agents.While some free-agent acquisitions don’t pan out, Buffalo hit on both of its moves at safety that off-season. Micah Hyde, who had served as a jack-of-all-trades in the secondary for the Green Bay Packers over the duration of his rookie contract, was voted to his first Pro Bowl last season. His counterpart, Jordan Poyer, set career-highs in every statistical category the same year. In our second-to-last look at the state of the Bills roster Authentic Tre'Davious White Jersey , we profile the safety group, which has been the saving grace of the defense over the better part of the last two seasons.Micah HydeContract status for 2019: Signed; $6,618,750 cap hit ($4.8 million dead cap if cut)Age: 28 (29 on 12/31/19)Playing time: 15 games (15 starts), 881 snaps (86.88% of defensive total), 112 St snaps (25.51%)Key statistics: 58 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, 2 interceptions, 5 passes defended, 1 fumble recoveryHyde’s 2018 season was not nearly as good statistically as his 2017 season, as he had fewer tackles, interceptions, and passes defended. However, Hyde seemed to perform just as well overall, and the defense was stronger as a group. Now entering his third season as a full-time starting safety, Hyde has developed into one of the league’s better all-around players. He and Poyer form a dynamic duo that should continue to play at a high level next year.Jordan PoyerContract status for 2019: Signed; $3.825 million cap hit ($1.75 million dead cap if cut)Age: 27 (28 on 4/25/19)Playing time: 16 games (16 starts), 1009 snaps (99.51% of defensive total), 101 ST snaps (23.01%)Key statistics: 100 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 3 QB hits, 2 sacks, 4 interceptions, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recoveryFor the second consecutive year, Poyer was arguably the better of the Bills’ two safeties Womens Rafael Bush Jersey , even if it is Hyde who receives more of the attention. Poyer’s per-16 game averages with Buffalo are excellent, as his “average” 16-game season with the Bills includes 100 combined tackles, five interceptions, ten passes defended, a fumble forced, a fumble recovered, two sacks, and seven tackles for loss. His contract is an incredibly friendly one for the franchise, and while I don’t agree with reworking deals that have multiple years left on them, he is someone to watch for in terms of receiving an early extension, especially if he continues his solid play throughout the beginning of next season.Rafael BushContract status for 2019: Signed; $1.8 million cap hit ($300,000 dead cap if cut)Age: 31 (32 on 5/12/19)Playing time: 15 games (7 starts), 452 snaps (44.58% of defensive total), 136 ST snaps (33.26%)Key statistics: 45 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 2 QB hits, 1.5 sacksThe veteran came in via free agency, and he did a very good job this season. He was the team’s third safety, but he was also their backup slot cornerback. After rookie Taron Johnson was placed on injured reserve in December due to a shoulder injury, Bush took over as the team’s primary slot corner. His numbers indicate a player who is more comfortable playing in the box and hitting people than he is in coverage, and he did a very good job as a extra blitzer off the edge in pressure packages. While his contract would allow for the Bills to release him at next to no harm to the franchise’s overall cap, it would be wise to retain him for next season. Good depth is hard to find, and the Bills have found a much better R. Bush than the last person by that name to suit up for the team.Siran NealContract status for 2019: Signed; $641,504 cap hit ($214,512 dead cap if cut)Age: 24 (25 on 8/4/19)Playing time: 16 games (0 starts), 15 snaps (1.48% of defensive total) http://www.buffalobillsteamonline.com/charles-clay-jersey , 249 ST snaps (56.72%)Key statistics: 11 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 QB hit, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recoveryThe first of Buffalo’s fifth-round draft picks in April made little impact as a rookie, serving as a core special-teams player but doing little on the stat sheet. His position is one to watch going forward, as the Bills could look to add more quality depth with greater potential in the defense. He could also spend another year learning the defense and playing special teams as a depth player.Dean MarloweContract status for 2019: Signed; $645,000 cap hit ($0 guaranteed)Age: 26 (27 on 7/25/19)Playing time: 2 games (1 start), 54 snaps (5.33% of defensive total), 19 St snaps (4.33%Key statistics: 5 tackles, 1 pass defendedMarlowe’s season certainly was interesting. Called up from the practice squad leading up to the Bills’ Week 5 game against the Tennessee Titans, he was pressed into starting duty when neither Micah Hyde nor Rafael Bush were healthy enough to play. Marlowe responded by playing every snap on defense, making four tackles and breaking up a pass in a 13-12 Bills’ victory. While he is by no means a world-beater, he is the perfect player to have on the back-end of the roster: he knows the defense well enough to step up in a pinch, and he is on a low-cost contract.Positional OutlookBuffalo is good here. They could very well look to add another player, and they will definitely bring a few in at least for training camp and the pre-season; however, there is no need to allocate serious resources to improve what is already a strong unit. Poyer and Hyde are written into the starting lineup in Sharpie, and while the trio of Bush, Neal, and Marlowe should by no means be guaranteed a roster spot in 2019, they should definitely be given first crack at retaining their jobs.