Board 6
Career change for me. Pro Skater! - Printable Version

+- Board 6 (http://board6.com)
+-- Forum: The Good Shit (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: Career change for me. Pro Skater! (/showthread.php?tid=12657)

Career change for me. Pro Skater! - Paullehh - 07-15-2015

Well, kind off. Worked in electronics all my life and after leaving my job late last year i have been unemployed.
I took a break for a few months and those turned in to a few more.
The thought of going back to the same crappy paid kind of repair/diagnostics/manufacturing electronics work just depressed me.
As a second income from time to time i have always done custom computer systems and i'll put most firms IT guys to shame when it comes to hardware but i lack the qualifications for firms to take me seriously in the higher paid IT positions.
Midlife crisis closes in thick and fast. The feeling of wasted potential nagging at me. So i did what i should have a long time ago if i was actually intelligent in the first place.
I signed myself right up to go back to college. Not electronic engineering this time but to pursue a degree in Network engineering and a bunch of other IT crap that would bore both you and me to sleep.

Wait what? Where does the pro skater part come in?
Well if i leave unemployment benefits to go back in to full time education, then i would lose the funding i get to pay my rent and keep my home. Only solution is to find work to help fund me during my time as a student.
"Fuck working for somebody else ever again" has become more and more prevalent in my head over the last year or so.
So right down to thinking "what i can offer?".
I'm advertising my custome PC services but it seems nobody can afford these things right this moment. PC sales are low!
What else can i do...I just spent all this unemployed time relaxing drinking beer and skating. Answer was there all along!
One nights thinking and a good sleep and the next day i said screw this. Time to grab the bull by the horns and go for it. So i immediately drafted an advert offering my services running private skateboard classes for beginners.
Within 24 hours i had so many parents contact me interested in details or desperate to sign their kids up that i already had enough interest to start a weekly class teaching kids.
Now only a short while later my application for a certificate needed to ensure you are fit to work with children and vulnerable people is underway and im legally allowed to commence.
Seems the government has a good few grants for people starting businesses. especially if they are unemployed. (get the bastards off the welfare state and in to the tax system) So now i'm looking at all the money i need to ensure i can do this for at least a year even if it flops.
So yeh... I'm going to skateboard for a living and that's pretty fucking awesome to me. :) banana

TL/DR: Fred is gay.

RE: Career change for me. Pro Skater! - juggalogigolo - 07-15-2015

sounds kick ass, but what happens when a kid falls and breaks his arm or snaps an ankle, are you going to be somehow liable for that, since you were supposed to be watching the kid, or how does that shit work legally over there.

TLDR: your just jealous
fghtffyrdmns dance

RE: Career change for me. Pro Skater! - Paullehh - 07-15-2015

Good question. I will be insured. And that's required by law.
It's harder to sue for shit like that in the UK. We don't reward stupidity. I go out riding my board n cane myself on your stair rail and try sue you. The judge is going to call me a fucking idiot and nominate me for darwin awards. :)

Also on that. I wont be doing anything extra dangerous with the kids. Or using any kind of more advanced big skate ramps.
They will be learning the basics with help and all the protective gear.

shit still happens, i broke my arm when i was 8 the day after my birthday, on my brand new ninja turtles skate board. i wasnt trying to do any tricks or anything, just going foreward, hit a pebble and fell off, snapping my arm in 2

RE: Career change for me. Pro Skater! - Paullehh - 07-15-2015

Ouchies. Yeh indeed shit can happen. Fucking pebbles take me out from time to time haha.
Will be extra careful. Helped a ton of kids with this stuff over the years. Good at catching em on the way down.

yea, would just be a shame to get this up and running and then have soe poor kid snap his neck or some stupid shit

RE: Career change for me. Pro Skater! - insane - 07-18-2015

Brilliant!