Board 6
B6 Party in Tempe - Printable Version

+- Board 6 (http://board6.com)
+-- Forum: The Good Shit (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (http://board6.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: B6 Party in Tempe (/showthread.php?tid=11553)

B6 Party in Tempe - sTr - 08-25-2012

[Image: b6tempe.jpg]

From Left to Right

Brisk, Professa, sTr

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - BiggGameJames - 08-25-2012

like your batman shirt

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - sTr - 08-25-2012

never watched it before

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - BiggGameJames - 08-25-2012

sTr Wrote:never watched it before

you just buyed cuz it looked cool.

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - tdot - 08-25-2012

always thought stephen would be taller

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - LuckyNumbrXIII - 08-25-2012

How do you know the other two aren't just WAY taller? Brisk could be 7 feet tall, professa 6'6.... Bam, Stephen is 6'2.

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - juggalogigolo - 08-25-2012

sign me up

B6 Party in Tempe - FxXxckOff - 08-25-2012

Good times

B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-25-2012

FxXxckOff Wrote:Good times

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-27-2012

eric and stephan

You were asking about how time works and I mentioned some stuff about special relativity- not to be confused with general relativity, radioactive decay (the clock experiment), and about flying away from earth for ten years. I was drunk but this is such an interesting topic I wanted to say a bit about it. ☺ Maybe itll get a few ppl posting on the board so its less dead..maybe. bajaj, i get all excited about this stuff.. my apologies to those who are tired of long posts from me or my exceedingly awesome nerdy prowess...suck it. ;)

Since I don’t remember what level of math you’ve had Ill try not to get all mathy/proofy. Idk if you know what a vector is, but if so, that’s what is involved here. For special relativity, we need to keep in mind that we are dealing with an inertial reference frame (irf), which pretty much just means that we are in a system which newtons three laws are valid.

We are always going at the speed of light, however, its not like driving a rally car. You’ve got to think in terms of four dimensions to get the full picture (three that are special, and one that is time). To avoid getting ahead of myself we will imagine a simplified version of this.. imagine an x and y coordinate system like back in school. On one axis, lets say the x-axis, we have time; and on the y-axis we have our position.
Imagine us three siting at that table the other night, none of us going anywhere, just at rest…drinking. Bajaj. During that time, we were all moving at the speed of light in time, our position was not changing. If one of us were to get up and walk across the street, that person is still going at the speed of light however, some of their “speed” is in their position as they walk away, and the rest is in time. Since we walk so slowly compared to the speed of light it appears to all be gravy. (If you’ve knowledge of vectors, then the total magnitude of the vector while we are sitting is in the direction of time only; therefore having only an x-component. Whereas the magnitude of the vector for the person walking away form the table has a y-component as well as an x-component- note again that the y-component would be many orders of magnitude smaller than the x-comp.)
Alternativly, you could think of it as you are always at the speed of light, but if you want to move in another “direction” than just time, then you must sacrifice some of your “time speed” to moving in that direction… they must add up and equal the speed of light.
Similarly, if the x-axis is east, and the y-axis is north, and you are going at a constant 100mph unable to +/-accelerate… then you can go east at 100mph, or north at 100mph, but if you go some degree of north east at 100mph then your speed in both the east direction and north direction individually will be less than 100mph. the two speeds combined will equal 100mph.

So, we know the speed of light is always constant (in symbols, speed of light is C). We know that we are always moving at a total speed of C if we add up our “speed” in each direction/dimension. .. that said, you can start to see where time becomes relative to the position. So imagine taking two twin atomic clocks (those were the words I was trying to find when I kept saying radioactive decay clock, lol) and having them perfectly in sync. Now leave one clock at a fixed location, like w us at the table, and fly the other clock around the earth. When the traveling clock comes back to join us at the table, it will be slightly slower than the stationary clock. That was a real experiment that was done, and I always think of it to myself as “the clock experiment”, but Ill try to find an actual article or video about it… its neat.

That’s all ive got to say about special relativity right now. I hope that makes things a little clearer, you had great questions about it Happy You can see how the atomic clock experiment is important in explaining/proving the idea, and from that you can extrapolate what would happen if you flew away from earth for ten years and then came back.. just like we were discussing.
Ive got to run to class but this video explains it pretty well and is worth the watch, especially if this was too long too read.

anyways, hope i don't come off as a pompous ass. lol i just am really excited about this shit so i want to share it.
Cheers

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - Stoopid Dog - 08-27-2012

tha proffessor = sam?

B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-27-2012

莟莟莟 Wrote:tha proffessor = sam?

Yeah. I go by Sammy these days, but yes.

B6 Party in Tempe - LuckyNumbrXIII - 08-27-2012

A clock changes when you move it? That makes no sense. What if you move it in the same direction of the earths rotation? Or Against rotation? Still makes no sense. Or maybe I didn't follow properly. I gotta read this through, I'm scrolling on my phone. Lol

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-27-2012

the clock doesn't change, but time does. .. time is relative to the position. it gets weird. lol

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - juggalogigolo - 08-28-2012

the faster you go, the slower time goes. some of the cosmonauts or whatever they are called, from the international space station, have actually been alive for less time than they would have been if they had never left earth, because time is slower in outerspace/traveling to the space station... it only adds up to a few seconds... but still.

if you got in a superfast space ship, and left earth, and traveled for 10 years, and turned around and came back, that would be a 20 year trip for you, but depending on how fast you go, when you come back it could be 25 years later, or 100, or 1000. time is NOT constant the way you think it is, it gets really weird at super high speeds and shit like that

theres a theory that, as you get closer and closer to moving at the speed of light, that time slows down more and more, and if you ever managed to go PAST the speed of light, time would reverse.

B6 Party in Tempe - LuckyNumbrXIII - 08-28-2012

Time is man made though.

And it's all relative. If someone goes to space and comes back in a year.... It's been a year. They aren't younger, their body won't last longer. This theory sounds veeeery sketchy and based entirely on the fact that no one can travel at the speed of light and prove it wrong.

Like, I can come up with some equations and say colors change at the speed of light. But no one can prove me wrong.

you can make up all kinds of shit that can never be proven .... that dosent make it true... christians have been doing it for thousands of years

this is science son, yes time is relative.... and while to THEM it might have been a year that they were in outserspace, it could have been 2 years for you sitting your ass here on earth. THIS is proven.... they HAVE taken atomic clocks and syncronized them and flown one around the world super fast, and had it been less time, than the other one

What the? How is that possible though? The clocks gears change? It makes no sense.

time travels slower... its hard to wrap your brain around, but its true

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele%E2%80%93Keating_experiment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele%E2% ... experiment</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation</a><!-- m -->

the second is a little easier to read/understand

I'm sorry maybe you got a link to this clock experiment? I just can't accept "it's science son," as a valid argument.

Whoa you read my mind.

smrt

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-28-2012

heres the actual research article from the journal Science
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.jstor.org.ezproxy1.lib.asu.edu/stable/10.2307/1734834?origin=api&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.jstor.org.ezproxy1.lib.asu.e ... rigin=api&</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and heres a handout for students w some examples that's pretty straight forward.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://web.mit.edu/sahughes/www/8.022/lec11.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://web.mit.edu/sahughes/www/8.022/lec11.pdf</a><!-- m -->" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

word @ fred
an example of time dilation that isn't so esoteric as some of the high math/phy stuff is that time dilation has a sizable affect on gps. since the satellites in orbit are moving really fast, if we didn't take into account the time distorting effect of motion, then the error would accumulate so quickly that within an hour or two we'd be lost.

it is really weird to wrap your mind around it, but its kind of an important principal to grasp if you're into theoretical phy.
separate from special relativity, einstin's general relativity says that gravity "slows time" as well. If you understand that space and time are inextricably linked (space-time), then the famous example of a heavy bowling ball sitting on a trampoline which causes a dip that a nearby marble would roll into is a simplified way of visualizing the effects of more massive objects like stars. general relativity says that stars warp space in a similar way, thus "attracting" other bodies that pass by (gravity), but einstein realized that the real warping effect was not just a warping of space, but of space-time. Its weird to think of but gravity slows time so that it is running slower in a basement of a home than on a roof; its a tiny effect on that scale, but measurable.
Quote:But if you want a seriously big time warp from gravity, you have to go where there's a very big gravitational field. If you had a clock on the surface of a neutron star, for example, it would tick at about 70% of the rate of a clock on Earth. The ultimate time warp is at the surface of a black hole, where in a sense time stands still relative to our time. If you went there, you wouldn't notice anything peculiar about time, but if you compared clocks between the two locations, they'd be enormously out of step.

Einstein wrote, "... for us physicists believe the separation between past, present, and future is only an illusion, although a convincing one." since time is relative to the observer, it is impossible to divide it up into past, present and future in a way that is universally meaningful. in some sense, past, present and future are all there at once.

you can see where this is going; direction of time, past/present/future, etc..

Strange, but intriguing. I'll have to read more when I get home.

B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-28-2012

It is strange... There's been a few times where after a lecture/new concept I was just stuck in my head for a while turning things over and over until it clicked for me the way I needed.
It's so different from the way we intuitively understand some of this stuff, but that's the exciting part for me personally.
Buy or download fabric of the cosmos by Brian greene, he gets into this stuff and explains it really well imo.

Might hit up the library for that.

[Image: tumblr_m4vzwwhVdZ1r4sv79.gif]

B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-29-2012

[Image: 44e7490b-abbe-7e18.jpg]

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - Autumn - 08-30-2012

You guys are so cute, just sayin. And, change of subject because I have NO idea what you're talking about.

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - juggalogigolo - 08-30-2012

time and space man..... time and space

Re: B6 Party in Tempe - The Professa - 08-30-2012

fred Wrote:space-time man..... space-time
bajaj